Thursday, August 17, 2006

Who should be responsible?

Yesterday on my way to work, I happened to see a very tragic road accident involving a lady who seemed to have travelled on her scooty. The other vehicle involved was a tipper lorry carrying full load of sand to a nearby construction site.

As I crossed her mortal remains lying on the road in a pool of blood, I noticed that apart from her head which was severly damaged, there was not even a scratch on her body.

That scene was haunting me for the whole of yesterday. From what I guess, she should have been in her mid-thirties. Probably married and a mother. I cannot help but think about the state of her husband and kids. What disturbed me more was that, hardly 100 metres from the site of accident, I saw another lady, probably in her late thirties riding her moped with a helmet dangling from the helmet lock.

Some organisations including mine have made it manadatory for the employees to wear helmets, otherwise the employees are not allowed to enter the premises with their vehicles and they have to end up parking their vehicles outside the campus. Some people, like the lady on her moped try to be smart and wear their helmets only while entering their office compound.

I hope she realises who, is being a made a fool here. If she herself is not responsible for her own sake, then who else can. May be Chennai should follow Bangalore and make helmets mandatory for all two wheelers.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel practically naked without a helmet. I certainly do not understand why people think twice about wearing helmets.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Munimma said...

This is seen here in the US too where not wearing them is illegal. There was that Steelers football player Big Ben around the time when one of my coworkers had an accident. Both had severe injuries.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U R Right balaji... my friend's sis too passed away recently in an accident like this...

10:53 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Why did you have to blog about. "yaan petra inbam" dhan you should share for the sake of weak souls.

7:51 AM  
Blogger b a l a j i said...

blogsurya,
unakku purinja sari.

badari,
same here...

munimma,
yeah

uma,
my friend was a medical student... and he used to tell me that atleast 2 or 3 cases come daily with head injuries

deepa,
#%&^%&!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true-helmets should be made compulsory

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers