Monday, January 09, 2006

Dakshin Chitra

Dakshin Chitra is a heritage centre next to MGM Dizee World along the ECR.

Here one can find the traditional South Indian houses of different styles. These houses have been aesthetically recreated using the original materials. It is said that the parts of the original houses were dismantled from their places and re-constructed here.The people of Dakshin Chitra also conduct cultural events pertaining to Southern states, organise craft workshops.

The entire place is divided into 4 different sections, one for each state. Tamil Nadu and Kerala style houses account for about 80% of the houses with the rest 20% being shared by the other 2 South Indian states.

wall_painting aiyyanaar

Wall painting found in one of the houses and Aiyyanaar temple

Something that impressed me during my last week's visit was the puppet show. The puppet show is performed on all weekends, once every hour starting from 11am. It is only of 10 minutes duration but the puppeteer who performs behind the screen is immensely talented. He handles upto 3 puppets, modulates his voice differently for each character and at the same time plays the drum for background music. Sometimes he throws one of the puppets on the air and catches them without the puppets moving away from the screen.

puppet_show show_man
Puppet Show and Puppeteer

The lady who applies mehndi seemed to interest one of my colleagues. I heard from another 65 year old visitor that palm reader here is spot on with her predictions. (why risk it??). Apart from all these they also sell tasteful handicrafts from the southern states.

cart chariot
Bullock cart and a chariot

Dakshin Chitra took us through a small journey to various country sides of the south and by the time I saw the watch, I had spent half a day of otherwise boring saturday.

7 Comments:

Anonymous F e r r a r i said...

nagai kadaikku poreenga. Indha madhiri cultural village kku poreenga.
Enna bala? Vootla kannala pechu adipadudha? Training aa?

11:40 PM  
Anonymous b a l a j i said...

ferrari,
rendume accident-aa nadandha vishayangaL. nagai kadai friend sister-ku nagai vaanga.

dakshin chitra, pudhu bike vaangi irukka friend kooda ECR ride pogum podhu bore adichadhaala ponadhu.

indhu 2 incidents-kum endha background-um kedayaadhu. adhuvum illama payaluga mattum poradhukku enna place irukku???? adhanaala indha madhiri edathukku ellam poga vendi irukku

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Dakshin Chitra around July last year and checked out the old lady who is a palmist and the Killi Josia Kaaran who are part of Dakshin Chitra. I had never been to an astrologer before and the old lady just floored me by telling me about my past and also the Killi Josia Kaaran. Both of them said that I had recently given up my job due to politics at work. This was actually true at that time, as were some of the other details that they found out. Maybe it's because I had gone on a week day that they guessed it ;-). Anyway they said quite a few things that knocked my breath out. It was an interesting experience for someone like me who had never been to a plamist or Kili Josiakaran before.

BNB

5:47 AM  
Anonymous b a l a j i said...

BNB,

so one more person in favour of the palmist

8:53 AM  
Blogger Prabu Karthik said...

hey dakshinchitra is a really cool place to go. went there and took some photographs.
:)

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
soft for windows software,news driver ,games
http://italiagame.org

Bye

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
Linux software,news driver ,games
http://italiagame.org

Bye

4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers